What is Stiffness ?
When your body cannot move or feels very tight, you experience ‘Stiffness.’ This medical condition may also trigger discomfort, pain, and cramping. Stiffness is not usually a medical emergency and should not be a big problem since there are quite a few ‘Do-IT-Yourself’ or DIY remedies you can use at home.
How does Stiffness Trigger in Your Body?
When you either engage in a new exercise or overuse skeletal muscles after an extended period, your body feels stiff. It is because such actions taken at the spur of the moment tend to cause damage to muscle cells. They do so by compelling the muscles to push harder, impacting the fibers. Besides, Stiffness is a medical disorder often referred to as ‘Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness or DOMS.’
What are Some of The Causative Factors of Stiffness?
Like most medical disorders in Stiffness, several factors contribute to its unpleasant presence in your body. They are as follows:
- Polymyalgia rheumatica
- Lack of physical activity
- Inability to sleep well
- A cold or damp environment
Signs and Symptoms of Stiffness:
Stiffness generally is not a serious medical disorder and goes away as it appears. However, there is a possibility that it may prolong if you are suffering from an underlying condition. Some of the common signs and symptoms that can help you identify whether or not you are experiencing ‘Stiffness’ within your body are as follows:
- Dark urine
Treatment Methods That can Use to Drive Away ‘Stiffness’?
If you are suffering from chronic Stiffness and looking for treatment options to help keep this common disorder completely at bay, then you need to know that there are quite a few available. They are as follows:
- Several over-the-counter pain relief medications prove to be effective.
- Besides, you can also use ice or heat packs over the area in the body, causing Stiffness.
- Getting the region in the body that feels stiff properly massaged also helps
- Having a warm bath or shower can help reduce Stiffness in your body. Since doing so will only promote blood circulation in the body.
- The use of stretching exercises will help in enhancing flexibility and circulation. Therefore, leading to the elimination of Stiffness from your body.
How do You Diagnose Stiffness?
Your doctor will study your medical history, after which you will need to undergo a physical examination. Although, there are additional tests that your physician may also ask to get done. So that the exact cause for your Stiffness can be identified and treated accordingly, they are as follows:
- Blood tests through which can precisely identify the muscle damage and possibly autoimmune underlying disorder-causing factor
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging or MRI
- Computer Tomography or CT scan