What is Admenta 10 mg ?
Admenta 10 mg tablet is used in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. It works to slow down the progression of moderate to severe Alzheimer’s disease. It contains Memantine hydrochloride as an active ingredient. Admenta 10 mg (Memantine 10mg) is a NMDA (N-methyl D-aspartate) receptor antagonist helps to promote memory & thinking process in the patients with Alzheimer symptoms. Alzheimer’s medicine consists of ‘Memantine’ as its chief ingredient, an NMDA (N-methyl D-aspartate) receptor antagonist. The route of administration for this drug is oral, which you take via the mouth.
Thus, Admenta 10mg exerts its effect in managing symptoms of Alzheimer’s by blocking the overstimulation of chemicals in the brain. These include glutamate and beta-amyloid peptides. It, therefore, ensures that it reduces abnormal activity in the brain to keep it normal and stable. You must understand that just because you take Admenta 10mg does not mean it will completely help get rid of it. The effective dosage for this medicine will depend on several factors. These essentially shall involve past medical history, past medical history, age, and gender.
Admenta 10mg, whose main component is Memantine, first received its official approval for medical use by the United States of America (USA) FDA (Food and Drug Administration) in 2003. It is also available as a generic medicine, which means you can purchase it at an affordable price. It was in 2020 that Admenta 10mg became the 152nd most prescribed drug in the USA. More than three million prescriptions of this drug were registered.
How does Admenta 10mg Tablet Work?
Admenta (Memantine) 10 mg essentially is an NMDA (N-methyl D-aspartate) receptor antagonist. It works by blocking the action of NMDA, leading to glutamate production. It is a neurotransmitter that plays a major role in transmitting nerve signals. Now, with the glutamatergic transmission in the brain undergoing disruption, there occurs what is medically called ‘Neuronal Excitotoxicity’ (nerve cell death or damage). This process eventually becomes the contributory or causative factor of ‘Alzheimer’s disease‘. Apart from glutamate Admenta 10 mg can also work to inhibit other chemicals in the brain, such as serotonin and acetylcholine, to trigger this disease since they affect your mental state, thoughts, and memory.
What are The Uses of Admenta 10 mg Tablets?
Admenta 10 mg (Memantine hydrochloride) is a NMDA receptor medication prescribed to reduce the progression of moderate to sever symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease. It can, however, also be used in the treatment of other mental and psychiatric medical conditions, such as dementia as well as bipolar disorder. Admenta 10 mg can also affect Autism, a neurodevelopmental disorder in which an individual cannot communicate or interact. There is no clear evidence to suggest that you can use Admenta 10 mg to treat an autistic child.
How to Take Admenta 10 mg to Treat Alzheimer’s Disease?
Before consuming Admenta 10 mg, you must know how to take it to derive maximum benefits and acquire minimum undesirable side effects. Here are a few tips on using this medication correctly and effectively. They are as follows:
- Never take this medicine while driving or using a machine. Since one of the side effects of this medicine is drowsiness or dizziness
- Please avoid taking this medicine if you have a medical history of renal issues, heart problems, seizures etc. If you do, consulting your doctor before taking this medicine is a prerequisite.
- If you are pregnant or planning for pregnancy must take precautions while taking Admenta 10 mg and must speak with a doctor before use.
- It is a drug you can take by mouth before or after meals.
- Do not crush or chew this medicine; only swallow it with a glass of water.
- It would help if you took Admenta 10 mg at the same time each day to ensure that a consistent amount of the medication is in your bloodstream.
- Finally, never stop taking Admenta 10 mg without consulting your physician.
When to Take Admenta 10 mg Tablet?
If you want to effectively manage Alzheimer’s disease by using Admenta 10 mg, you must know when to take it to avoid experiencing undesirable side effects. Here are a few important insights on choosing the right time to take Admenta 10 mg.
- Before taking Admenta 10 mg, you need to consult your doctor, who will provide you with a dosage schedule depending on a few factors. These include age, body weight, gender, past medical history etc. It is only after your physician prepares a dosage plan that you must start taking Admenta 10 mg.
- Please consume this medication only after you have completely read the prescription label on the bottle. Also, please speak with your doctor or pharmacist for instructions on how to take it before use.
- If you intend to derive maximum benefits from Admenta 10 mg to treat Alzheimer’s symptoms, then the only way you can do it is by simultaneously taking this medicine every day.
- Finally, it would help if you remembered that this drug would only efficiently treat your Alzheimer’s disease symptoms when you complete the dosage course of Admenta 10 mg that your doctor prescribes for you. It, therefore, is essential that you do not stop this drug abruptly for you to gain from it.
What are The Dosage Guidelines for Admenta 10 mg Tablets ?
The dosage plan for Admenta 10 mg will depend on the dosage type prescribed to an individual. It is as follows:
Usual Minimum Adult Dose Admenta 10 mg Immediate Release:
The dosage plan will have a consumption duration of four weeks for extended-release tablets. It is as follows:
5 mg orally one time a day
10 mg orally once a day
15 mg orally/day
20 mg orally daily which is the maintenance dose
Usual Minimum Adult Dosage for Admenta 10 mg Extended Release:
The minimum initial dose is 7 mg orally once a day. The maximum and maintenance dose is 28 mg orally through the mouth once a day. You should also increase the initial dosage in 7 mg increments along with the recommended maintenance dose.
You need to understand that while following the dosage plan, you may either miss a dose or overdose. Under both these situations, you need to take the following actions. They are as follows:
If you miss an Admenta 10 mg dose, you need to take it as soon as you remember. However, if the time to take the next dose is just around the corner, you must avoid skipping doses. Never compensate for an Admenta 10 mg dose you miss. Also, if you happen to miss the dosage of this Alzheimer’s disease drug consistently, then you need to call your doctor before you can continue with it again.
Unfortunately, if you overdose on on this medication, there is a possibility that you may experience either side effects or adverse side effects that may be fatal. Therefore, under such circumstances, you must immediately call your physician or healthcare centre to seek medical assistance.
What are The Side Effects of Taking Admenta 10 mg Tablets?
When you take a drug like Admenta 10 mg, there is always the likelihood of you experiencing mild-to-severe side effects. Here is then presenting a few:
Common Side Effects:
- Dizziness or drowsiness
- Quick gaining of weight
- Body pain
If you experience a few side-effects of Admenta 10 mg given below, then you need to call your doctor and stop the medication immediately:
- Chronic headache
- Convulsions or Seizure episodes
- Alteration in mood or behaviour
- Irregular heart rate
There is a possibility that you may not be able to take Admenta 10 mg as you have drug allergy issues. Hence, under such a situation, you can take a few other drugs, including Memantine. They are as follows:
- Namenda XR
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Q. When do you need to stop taking Admenta 10 mg?
Such medications like Admenta 10 mg, you must stop as soon as you do not get the desired result of normal cognitive function, that too when it fails to occur even after consuming this medication for twelve weeks or more.
Q. What happens when you stop taking Admenta 10 mg?
Although it is usually safe to take Admenta 10 mg, if you stop taking it suddenly, you may face a problem. It is because when you do so, you will experience what medically we know as ‘Discontinuation Syndrome’, which can cause a lot of distress to your body.
Q. What are some of the precautions that you need to keep in mind while taking Admenta 10 mg?
If you want to take Admenta 10 mg effectively without having to experience too many side effects, then you need to keep a few safety measures given below in mind:
- Avoid using this drug when you have an allergy problem
- Always follow all directions given by your doctor or pharmacist while taking this medicine
Q. How do you store Admenta 10 mg effectively?
It is a fact that if you make effective use of Admenta 10 mg, then you need to store it well. Therefore, here is presenting to you a few storage guidelines you need to follow:
- Keep as far as possible this medication away from children and pets.
- Store it in an airtight container away from light and heat under room temperature
- Never discard unused Admenta 10 mg by flushing it down the toilet drain. Always remove the drug dose by following instructions given by your doctor or pharmacist.