What is Joint Stiffness?
When you experience extreme difficulty in moving your joint or feel unable to move it, a medical condition known as joint stiffness occurs. This body disorder typically occurs due to a medical illness or injury. It is also essential to note that joint stiffness may also be a symptom of a severe disease like Rheumatoid Arthritis. However, it may not always be the case, as a stiff joint can also occur for various reasons. It is to help you know better about this common disease that we present to you this article which contains all the essential information you need to know about joint stiffness.
How does Joint Stiffness Occur?
Usually, joint stiffness occurs due to inflammation within the lining of the joint that we medically call ‘Synovium .’It is also a medical disorder that occurs in four stages you need to understand. They are as follows:
- Bleeding: Involves the triggering of swelling and inflammation in joints. Usually, the symptoms you observe during this phase include bruising, trouble in movement, and even discoloration.
- Edema: This phase includes the formation of edema (swelling) in the joint
- Granulation tissue: In this stage, there is the development of granulation tissue formation, which occurs as inflammation increases leading to pain and joint stiffness
- Fibrosis: Finally, fibrosis occurs in the synovial joint that leads to joint pain and joint stiffness, respectively
What are The Causes of Joint Stiffness?
Most people around the world suffer from joint stiffness at some point in time. However, the causative factor of stiffness in joints varies from one individual to another. Therefore, you must be aware of what those are, which can be due to medical and non-medical reasons. Here is presenting to you a list:
- Position of sleeping: How you sleep is a significant lifestyle issue that can trigger joint stiffness. Since if you do not position yourself correctly in bed while resting, then your spine might be affected, resulting in joint stiffness in the shoulder.
- Age: Apart from sleep, age also plays a role in developing joint stiffness. Since it is evident that the older you get, the less the range of motion in your joints significantly reduces.
- Diet: What you eat also can trigger joint stiffness in your body. For example, consuming an animal or dairy products, you may experience medical disorders like gout or arthritis. It is also a fact that the less you consume plant products, the more the chances of you getting joint stiffness.
- Medical conditions: There are also several other disorders, such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, lupus, fibromyalgia, bone cancer, etc., that can trigger joint stiffness in your body.
Signs & Symptoms of Joint Stiffness:
Usually, it is the presence of any of the medical disorders mentioned below that prove to be symptoms of joint stiffness. They are as follows:
- Degenerative Joint Disease
- Bone Cancer
What are The Types of Treatment Available for Joint Stiffness?
When trying to treat your joint stiffness, you will realize that the solution lies in the source that is causing it. If your joint stiffness persists and lasts for more than thirty minutes, you need to seek medical assistance immediately. Although, you can use a few basic techniques to treat and manage joint stiffness symptoms. They include the following:
- Over-the-Counter medications, such as a few corticosteroids, can relieve inflammation, leading to a reduction in joint pain and stiffness.
- The use of exercise and physiotherapy helps in increasing mobility in your joints.
- Hot and cold compresses can also help beneficially in reducing swelling or inflammation and thereby smoothen the joint movement