What is Joint Disorder ?
A joint is a point in your body wherein two or more bones join together. Your body has several joints, including the shoulder, knuckles, knees, hips, and elbow. Besides, there are joints in your spinal region as well. When any of these joints get either physically injured or damaged due to a disease, you suffer from a joint disorder.
Now, you need to understand that when you suffer from this medical condition, your bone is affected, and tendons, cartilage, and ligaments are in it. It means that a joint disorder is a severe medical condition that involves pain. Also, there are quite a few Joint disorders that you need to learn and understand. Hence, here is an article that explains a few essential things you need to know about Joint disorders.
What Triggers Joint Disorders?
Joint disorders mainly occur when the joints in your body respond to certain external factors. These include:
- Bone and common pathology and its association with age
- Cartilage tear
- In rare cases, even bone tumors
It is also essential to note that the factors causing joint disorder that triggers pain differ according to the type of condition. Therefore, the treatment of all Joint disorders will also vary. Besides, one of the core reasons for your joint to become dysfunctional is the overuse of it while performing daily chores.
Signs and Symptoms of Joint Disorders:
Like other medical conditions, you can identify joint disorders, too, via a few common indications in the form of signs and symptoms. They are as follows:
- Joint swelling
- Feeling of stiffness
- Complete loss of joint motion
- Locking of the joint
- Redness of joint
- Painful movement
- Enlarged joint
- The problem with bending the joint
- Joints making a noise
What are The Types of Joint Disorders?
Usually, Joint disorders occur due to disease, sudden physical damage or injury, and overuse or abuse. It is, therefore, apparent that you can categorize the types of infection in the joints as follows:
Diseases that cause Joint infections:
Certain medical conditions such as infection, inflammation, and autoimmunity can cause the following Joint disorders. They include:
- Arthritis: A joint disease that occurs due to inflammation. There is pain and swelling in the joint in this condition.
- Sjogren’s syndrome occurs due to malfunctioning of the immune system, which leads to joint pain.
- Lupus: This is yet another common disorder that triggers failure in the immune system that causes muscle and joint pain.
Injury leading to Joint disorders:
The Joint disorders in this category include the following:
- Dislocation of Joints: This essentially involves an accident when a joint gets pushed or pulled out of its original position.
- Sprains and Strains: Stretching and tearing of ligaments and muscles/tendons causing sprains and strains, respectively.
Abuse triggering Joint disorders:
These are Joint disorders that happen because of too much wear and tear and damage to soft tissues in the joint. They are:
- Bursitis: It occurs when a small fluid-filled sac that serves as a cushion to your bones, tendons, etc., near your joints undergoes inflammation due to overuse.
- Tendonitis: This joining disorder is due to the overuse of tendons
- Chronic Strain: This is when your muscles or tendons, over time due to overtime stretch or tear slowly
Causative Factors of Joint disorders:
There are several risk causative factors that lead to Joint Disorders. They are as follows:
- Age of individual
- Injuries to the joint
- Deformity in the bones
- Genetic issues
- Stress on joint
- Few metabolic diseases like diabetics
How to You Treat Joint Disorders?
The resolution of any Joint disorder depends on relieving symptoms and providing relief. Therefore, the best way to do that is to use the following medications:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAID:
They work by reducing and relieving joint pain and inflammation
Using corticosteroids like prednisone helps slowly eliminate inflammation and pain in the joint.
- DMARD or Disease-Modifying Antirheumatic Drugs:
Using these medicines helps slow down rheumatoid arthritis from increasing to help preserve your joints.
These are medicinal creams and ointments containing ingredients like menthol, which, when you apply, help in relieving joint pains.