Gnathostomiasis is a parasitic infection caused by a roundworm of the genus Gnathostoma. The infection is acquired by consuming undercooked or raw fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds, or mammals that are infected with the parasite.
Symptoms of gnathostomiasis can vary depending on the stage of the infection and the location of the worm in the body, but may include migratory swelling and pain in the skin, subcutaneous tissues, or deep organs such as the liver, lung, or brain. In severe cases, the infection can lead to blindness, paralysis, or even death.
Diagnosis of gnathostomiasis can be challenging, but may involve blood tests or imaging studies such as ultrasound, CT scans, or MRI. Treatment typically involves medications such as albendazole or ivermectin, which can help to eliminate the worms and relieve symptoms.
Preventive measures include cooking fish and meat thoroughly, avoiding raw or undercooked food, and avoiding drinking untreated water. It is important to consult a healthcare professional for appropriate diagnosis and treatment of gnathostomiasis.